Sore throat just like constipation is one of those common ailments that I really dislike and have a lot of sympathy for those that are suffering from it. It can be so painful, uncomfortable, and annoying to live with even if it is just for a few days, those days can feel like a week and some of suffering.
Sore throat is usually a result of an infection from a virus or bacteria. It is part of the grouped infections that affect the nose and throat known as the common cold.
This is why a sore throat often occurs in conjunction with flu or cough. I have written on the remedies I used to clear the common cold effectively in 3-4 days. Feel free to check it out here
What is a sore throat?
A sore throat is a pain, irritation, or itchiness of the throat and in its initial stages, it might just feel like discomfort in the nose or throat for some time before it is realised to be a sore throat.
This infection makes it difficult to swallow any food or liquid and comes with a perpetual pain or discomfort that varies in intensity depending on the stage of the infection.
When your sore throat is persistent and is accompanied by a fever or when your tonsils are swollen, blocking your throat, etc. in such cases, it might be best to visit a doctor but before it gets bad.
Sore throat Home Remedies
Most of the time, home remedies are very effective for a sore throat. You don’t need to visit the pharmacy or hospital.
Most of the mentioned remedies in this article are also good for the common cold (flu) and cough so if you have more than just a sore throat.
Ginger root used raw, in teas, foods, or soups are very effective in fighting infections. It has an anti-inflammatory and soothing effect on the infected throat making it less painful while helping your body to get rid of the infection by supporting the immune system.
It is best to take the ginger in raw form or as an oil but other forms can also be effective though not as effective as raw ginger or ginger oil.
How to use:
- You can just chew about an inch of the raw ginger and let the juice from chewing stay at your throat without drinking or eating anything else for at least 40 minutes to an hour. Overnight is best
- You can also use grated, chopped, or powdered ginger if that is all you have at the moment. Add it to hot water.
- Allow it to steep and cool down for about 8-10 minutes and take the warm tea.
- You can also add honey or lemon juice to the ginger tea for better taste and to make it more effective.
- Raw ginger is not the only option, pure ginger tea is also effective for sore throat. Use as indicated on the pack but without milk, sugar (just a little if you must), and other additives that can worsen your situation. Remember to take it warm also.
Subscribe For Exclusive Remedies & Health Tips
fresh Orange juice – for immediate Relief in less Than 7 minutes
This remedy was a surprise for me also in the beginning when I first tried it. The quick relief you will feel is not comparable to any other remedy I have ever tried. Others on this list work too but you will feel the difference after about 15 minutes at least not less than 5 minutes.
Orange juice is very effective for sore throat probably because of the vitamin C contained in the juice. Some might say just suck on some vitamin C tablet but it is not as effective as taking a cup-full or two of orange juice or eating 10-13 medium-sized oranges in my experience. This might be because orange juice is also rich in antioxidants, folate, potassium, etc.
How to use:
- Get 7-10 big or 10-13 medium-sized juicy and sweet oranges.
- Squeeze the orange juice either by hand or using a juicer.
- Sip gradually not drink 1-2 big full cups of the orange juice and not more than that at once because it can also loosen your bowels.
- Do this not more than twice a day.
- If you prefer, you don’t have to squeeze them just cut up about 10-13 juicy oranges at once and eat them like a meal. That is the method I use the most because it is easier.
Honey is an antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial remedy. It is a well-known household remedy used for many things especially common cold.
Some studies have shown that honey is actually a better cough syrup, cough suppressant, wound healer than pharmaceutical drugs. these studies have also shown that it is better than the popular lozenges from the pharmaceutical shops we suck on while we have a sore throat.
This is because while the lozenges simply numb the throat, honey actually heals the wound in the throat and fights the infection in the throat and the body simultaneously.
How to use:
- Get a good quality honey
- Take a tablespoon or two at once.
- Remember to take it slowly to properly coat the throat.
- Do not take any food or water for at least 30 minutes to an hour afterward. leaving it overnight in your throat is preferred.
Where to get it:
It is important to keep taking very warm liquids but not hot enough to burn the throat. Just comfortably warm teas, water and other liquids.
If it is possible for you, only take warm foods, porridge, soups and liquids in this period of sore throat. As we know, warm liquids and water help fight and soothe infected places on the body.
How to use:
Whatever you are going to take, make it warm. Even from this list, it will be good if some of these remedies will be taken with warm water such as ginger, vitamin C, honey, and even lemon in warm water. even if you want to take plain water, use warm water.
Lemon is not included in this list because I have never used to know but some say it is effective.
Gargle with salt water
Salt as we know is an disinfectant of infections and because sore throat is an infection, it is very helpful and soothing to the throat when you gaggle with warm water.
This remedy is a very old one as I can remember myself gargling with salt and warm water when I was a child.
How to use:
- Dissolve about a tablespoon of salt in a cup of warm water.
- The water should be just warm, not hot enough to burn, and not lukewarm then it will not be effective
- Gaggle for about 5-10 minutes with this solution about 2-3 times a day and after every gaggle session, your throat will feel soothed and not as itchy, painful, or scratchy as before.
Vitamin C as we know is very important in supporting the activity of the immune system which fights infections and diseases in our body.
When we have an infection from the common cold, we are usually told by our family or doctor to take some vitamin C tablets to support our body in this fight against the infection.
It is a very effective remedy not just for infection but to strengthen our body immunity to diseases as those with a strong immunity hardly catch these kinds of minor infections. In this case, it is used to shorten the time your body will take to recover from this infection.
How to take:
- Get a good quality vitamin C not the cheap ones. Get those ones that dissolve in water or the tablets where you can easily see its size or concentration of the vitamin c in the tablet per milligram
- Swallow them with water, suck on them or dissolve them in water depending on the directions on the vitamin C pack.
- Remember the maximum vitamin C you should take in a day is 1000mg/1g.
Where to get it:
For vitamin c, there are many options apart from dietary sources. If you prefer capsules, Nature Made Vitamin C capsules are a good option.
Each capsule is 1000mg and it costs about $9 for the whole bottle which contains 90 capsules. You can buy it on Amazon.
A non-GMO certified vitamin C is also available if you prefer that. You can buy it on Amazon too.
Note:*You should know that 1000mg is the recommended daily dosage by doctors.
Black seed powder.
Its scientific name is Nigella sativa. Black seed also known as black cumin, is known to support and strengthen the body just like vitamin C. I almost forgot to include this remedy in the list. It is very EFFECTIVE not just sore throat but general common cold and our immunity.
Whenever I start to feel sick but I am not sure what is wrong, I just take this herb for about three (3) days and I usually feel better by then. Any sign of sickness is gone. I prefer this supplement to vitamin C but if I don’t have it at home, I simply use the vitamin .C
How to use:
- Get a pure unadulterated powder of black seed powder
- Take a teaspoon or two of the powder about 1 hour after meals with water. Remember after meals because it is a very potent medicine that can make you sick/harm you on an empty stomach. My sister once made that mistake.
- Take twice a day. In the morning and evening.
- If you are able to get the capsules of the seeds, use it as indicated on the pack of the product
- You can take it for 3-7 days depending on how you are feeling. I will recommend that you take it up to two days after your sore throat is gone.
Where to get it:
It is easily available in shops for natural products in the market, or the health section in the super market.
Subscribe for Exclusive Remedies & Health Tips
The last but definitely not the least. This is the one remedy for sore throat that my sister is ready to defend at any time because it works so well. I have personally tried it before and it works.
Garlic is a known antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial food. Some of us might not like its smell while many others love it. I personally love it. These properties helps it to boost our immunity and fight the infection in our throat. If you don’t have the raw garlic, you can use garlic oil
How to use:
- Get about 4-6 pieces of garlic not the whole cloves of garlic
- Chop them into small pieces that you can easily swallow
- Allow the chopped garlic to sit for about 10 minutes to activate its enzymes
- Swallow them or chew the raw garlic about an hour after meals and not on an empty stomach
- Do not eat for the next 40 minutes to an hour.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
Subscribe For Updates & exclusive content
My one-day Sore throat Cure regimen
The one-day regimen I use to get rid of sore throat in 24 hrs or less is a combination of the above remedies in a certain order. this regimen is most effective at the onset of the sore throat when you are feeling discomfort. If your sore throat is already here or advanced to the point that speaking is becoming difficult for you, then you will need to use this regimen for 2-3 days. here is my quick sore throat relief recipe
- Use the oranges remedy as described above and about 2 hours later, take the garlic remedy.
- After 2 hours, take the black seed powder/capsules or vitamin C as directed above to boost your immunity
- Chew about an inch of ginger in the morning and evening
- Sip warm water with honey as often as you can throughout the day. Use it as your drinking water for the rest of the day
- Do this process in the morning and evening with about 9 -12 hours in between each treatment session.
Give about an hour spacing between using one remedy to another and you will be good. This regimen works for me and they are all safe remedies. Using all these remedies within a short span of time makes it impossible for the sore throat infection to continue to thrive.
If your sore throat is mild, just this 24 hr treatment is enough. You don’t need to continue the following day. I wish you the best.
A sore throat can be easily treated at home without pharmaceutical drugs as some of the home remedies are actually more effective than those drugs. Choose wisely.
When you are suffering from sore throat, it is important that you stay away from everything cold at least. Even if you will not stay in warm places and clothes. Avoid any cold or room temperature foods and drink, save them for when your throat has healed.
These are the remedies that I and those around me have used consistently with good results quickly. I hope they work for you too.
They are all easily available remedies and I will vouch for the quick effectiveness of the ginger, garlic, fresh orange juice, and back seed powder. They work really fast. If you have any questions or comments, write them below in the comment section and I will soon reply to you.
Please rate this article down below if you think it did you any good, helped you or if it didn’t help you. Let me know so that we can improve on my writing and delivery. I hope you had a good time here with us.
Thank you for stopping by and bye for now!