Bloating and stomach gas recently started happening to me too. I can almost never recall being bloated in my life until the past year. For reasons still unknown to me, my stomach started to become bloated and gassy whenever I eat or drink anything.
Another unfortunate thing is that it increased my tummy size significantly. I am writting this post based on what helped me understand and remedy this discomfort of mine. So let us discuss
The stomach can become bloated and gassy for many reasons such as food sensitivity, food allergy, eating habits, stress, hormonal changes, constipation, digestive disorders, a health condition, etc.
For some, a bloated gassy stomach is not just uncomfortable but also painful. The following are what you need to do when you feel bloated or gassy:
Lifestyle adjustments to prevent bloat/stomach gas
Prevention is better than cure. Even if we know the cure for bloat, it is best to prevent it through the following:
- Keeping a food diary incase it is cause by food sensitivity. This will allow you to eliminate foods that are incompatible with your gut
- Have healthy eating habits can prevent bloat and the prosuction of stomach gas such as not eating too fast, not drinkign while eating, not eating when upset, mindful (concious, non-distracted) eating which triggers the secretion of digestive enzymes, etc.
- A good diet with adequate fiber, fruits and vegetables will ensure that the waste in the body is properly removed. As we know, constipation or left over waste in the colon and intestines does cause bloating/increase the procution of stomach gas
- Good stress management and adequate sleep is important in regulating many functions in our body beyond digestion
- Sit upright during and until 30 minutes after eating. Do not lie down
- Chewing gum makes one swallow more air than is healthy resulting in bloating/stomach gas
- Having a big meal over burdens your digestive system making it function in efficiently
- The following habits can also cause stomach gas such smoking, wearing tight clothes especially over the abdomen, eating extreme tempreture foods, using a straw, etc.
- Carbonated drinks, legumes e.g. beans, spicy foods, apple, dried fruits, etc. are some of the foods that cause bloating in many
This is one of my most recommended remedies for gas and bloat. Once you eat or notice that your stomach is bloated, you need to engage in physical activity for the next 20 minutes or so.
Never eat and just remain in one position. Take a walk, cycle, gentle, do some yoga, do some house chores that require energy, etc. for the nest 20-30 minutes after eating or noticing the bloat/stomach gas
This works very well for me when I feel bloated
carminative herbs e.g cloves
Many natural herbs and spices are antimicrobial which hinder the production of stomach gas by the bad bacteria in the gut. Such include cloves, cinnamon, thyme, fennel, ginger, peppermint, etc.
Numerous studies have confirmed the effectiveness of the mentioned herbs in preventing the production of stomach gas and facilitating its safe expulsion from the gut
These herbs also aid digestion and soothe irritation should it occur. Personally, it is the cloves that I use the most amongst them for fast stomach bloat/gas relief
I simply chew 2-3 pcs of the spice or add a 1/3 of a teaspoon of cloves powder to a little water and drink. You can chew these herbs/spices or add them to warm water and drink them as tea.
As simple as it may sound, this method has worked for me sometimes too. Being dehydrated is sometimes a cause for slow, inefficient digestion which results in bloat and production of stomach gas as food just sits in the gut.
Sometimes, water is what you need to aid your digestion and flush out your system. The water makes it easier for all the gas in your gut to be released naturally.
It can be a self-massage or you can have someone do it for you. When you feel bloated, try this massage to make it easy for it to pass out of the body quickly. I got the instruction manual from Michigan university site. Here it is:
Start on the right side of your stomach down by the bone of your pelvis. Rub in a circular motion lightly up to the right side till you reach your rib bones. Move straight across to the left side. Work your way down to the left to the hip bone and back up to the belly button for 2-3 minutes.
Rub with your fingertips in a circular motion.
You may press a little deeper with your fingers. Spend about 1 minute moving from the right hip bone to the right ribs then 1 minute across the middle (gently) and then 1 minute down to the left bone by your pelvis to the belly button.
Repeat rub, always in a clockwise motion, for 10 minutes.
Try it guys. It does work for bloat relief and gas fast expulsion.
As someone that struggles with bloating almost after every meal, I know how annoying and uncomfortable it is.
These lifestyle advice are effective as a long-term solution to gas/bloat. The remedies are for quick relief when you need it. Try them out and let me know how well they worked for you or not.
Thank you for reading till the end. Have a nice day.