We as people love food. At least, most of us do. It is one of the necessities of life that we enjoy very much. A good diet keeps us healthy, strong and wards off numerous diseases. We are what we eat after all as the popular saying goes.
Our appetite is known to fluctuate depending on numerous factors such as personal and environmental factors. Even food lovers sometimes find it hard to enjoy their food because of poor appetite.
When you can’t find the zeal to eat even when you are hungry, not just for a day or moment, but for continuous 2-3 days, then you can say you have a poor appetite. I will guide you on how to improve and maintain your appetite naturally.
For those with chronic health problems such as anorexia where the loss of appetite is just a symptom, these remedies might not be very effective for you. The remedies discussed in this post are for those that are experiencing poor appetite temporarily or short term.
symptoms of poor appetite
Loss of appetite, poor appetite, or low appetite refers to the same thing. Medical science defines it simply as when you don’t have the desire to eat as you used to. For those that have had a poor appetite for a while, they might notice or experience the following:
- Weight loss
- Not feeling hungry when you should
- Not wanting to eat
- Feeling disgusted by food
- Not enjoying the foods that you used to etc.
Causes of poor appetite
When we struggle to find the zeal or will to eat and enjoy food, it can dramatically impact our life and health. Most of the time, we lose our appetite as a result of the following:
- An underlying illness e.g the common cold.
- Nutrient deficiency e.g Zinc/malnutrition.
- Loss of taste sensation
- Psychological disorders e.g depression
- Hormonal issues
- Drug abuse/alcohol
- Medications e.g. laxatives etc.
The following remedies are effective for the occasional loss of appetite we all go through during the year.
The B-complex vitamin supplement is a group of 8 vitamin Bs that are essential for overall body function beyond just boosting our appetite.
These vitamin Bs have a direct impact in supporting and maintaining our energy levels, good digestions, hormones, cholesterol production, cell function, brain function, etc.
Men generally need more vitamin B complex than women. Older adults and pregnant women also need a higher than average dose of these vitamins for various reasons.
When buying this supplement, select one that has all of the 8 vitamin Bs, does not contain dyes, artificial coloring, etc. In short, buy the best quality you can find in the market for rapid results.
You can get this supplement easily in pharmacy shops. Take them as described on the product packaging.
Zinc is a very important supplement in the body as it is used in maintaining numerous body functions. When there is a deficiency in the body, we start to suffer from problems such as anemia, loss of appetite, hair loss, loss of energy, poor body immunity, slow healing of wounds, etc.
Some studies have shown that Zinc supplements are indeed effective in boosting appetites. Zinc is a common supplement available in pharmacy shops and natural health stores. Take this supplement as indicated on the pack.
Green leafy vegetables and colorful fruits
The rainbow diet as some refer to it is eating varied fruits and vegetables that correspond to the color of the rainbow in a day or within a week.
Green leaves such as spinach, moringa, etc. are known for being rich in vitamin B which is a necessary vitamin to improve appetite.
Fresh colorful fruits such as watermelon, grapes, tomatoes (if you want to call it a fruit) contain antioxidants and phytonutrients that also assist in improving appetite.
When you have a poor appetite, I will suggest that you do the rainbow diet even if it is just for 3 days. You can have vegetables in the morning and fruits in the evening or vice versa.
Make it a rich, delicious plate for each serving. Just remember not to overcook the vegetables. Now is the opportunity for you to treat yourself as part of your remedy 🙂
If you will not be using any remedy from this post but these fruits and vegetables, it will be enough for you. You will notice improvements by the third day. Keep to this diet for 3-5 days for best results.
Organ meats are very rich in nutrients and cow liver is one of the best amongst them. This might not be an option for many because it is not commonly eaten in many societies.
Most prefer chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, etc. However, if you can eat it, this is one of the best remedies that I know for low appetite.
Cow liver contains all 8 of the vitamin B complex components. You can also use other livers such as chicken liver, lamb liver, etc. if you wish.
There are many delicious recipes you can find on the internet for cow liver and when made properly, it is delicious. Try it and you will probably find yourself adding it to your diet.
Milk contains four of the eight vitamin Bs and has a higher absorption rate into the body than other sources of Vitamin B. Here, fresh milk is preferred as it contains more nutrients and is unrefined.
Many of us may not be able to get cow fresh milk from the farm and not the ones we usually buy from the aisle in the supermarket. If all you can get is the milk in the carton/box, then you can use them though fresh is best for faster results.
Tips to boost your appetite
While using remedies, it is necessary that you adjust some of your routines and eating habits to further boost your appetite. The following is often advised:
- Consider taking liquid foods and not just solids if they will be easier for you such as nutrient packed smoothies, soups, porridge, etc.
- Eat foods you enjoy the most e.g if you like spicy foods, sweet foods or salty foods, etc. Eat those you usually enjoy more during this period.
- Eat nutritious foods such as proteins, whole grains, nuts and seeds, etc.
- Avoid snacking with “bad” foods such as packed foods, chips, ice cream, cakes, etc. Instead, snack with fruits, nuts, vegetables etc.
- Try eating with family and friends in a relaxed setting where people are also eating to get you in the mood for food.
- Exercise well/be active. This will make you to expend energy and in turn, you will get hungry for food to replenish your energy.
- Avoid appetite suppressing foods such as pineapple or practices such as drinking water/liquids before a meal while your appetite is low
- Set meal times and keep to it. When you have poor appetite, you need to be strict with yourself by making time to eat even if you don’t feel like eating at the moment
- Eat smaller and more frequent meals so that eating will be easier than having a big plate at once.
- Avoid distractions while eating such as the TV, phones, people around you that will take your attention away from the food you are eating.
- Avoid drinking liquids or snacking between meals as they will make you feel full even though you are not.
I hope these tips give you an idea of what will help you eat better and more consistently.
when to see a doctor
To be on the safe side, make an appointment to see the doctor if you start to experience:
- Weight loss,
- Feeling tired and fatigued,
- Your appetite is not improving despite the remedies you take,
- Hair loss,
- Decreased muscle mass, etc.
It might be necessary for the doctor to conduct some tests to find the underlying problem as the loss of appetite might just be a symptom.
There you have it. The main secret to improving our appetite is to eat nutrient-rich foods or use supplements and by treating the underlying cause of low appetite.
Poor appetite is usually a symptom of an ailment or nutrient deficiency. If these rich foods and remedies don’t solve the problem or only improved your condition without curing it, then you will need to visit the doctor for a health checkup.
I hope I have given you some insight on how to improve your appetite for food and maintain it for the long haul. While using these recommended remedies, you need to make lifestyle adjustments as indicated above until your appetite returns.
I will be very happy if you will let me know in the comment section whether these tips and remedies helped you …… or not.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a nice day.